Parliamentary aspirant threatens to drag EC, AG, Ministry of Health to court if they don’t stop elections due to rising covid-19 infections.
By Our team
Ruhinda County aspirant Kahemba Babi Sperato wants the Attorney general, Electoral Commission (EC) and Ministry of Health to halt the 2021 elections and call of all campaigns in light of the increasing number of covid-19 infections.
In a letter dated November 17, Kahemba says the Government should call off the elections in a bid to preserve general public health, protect the right to good health and right to life.
“I demand that the Ministry of Health reinstates restrictions on the public gatherings and meetings and the EC suspends the entire electoral process until such a time as would be safe for the masses to gather and associate normally.
Failure to take heed to these demands within seven days from the date of the writing of this letter shall compel me to take legal action,” Kahemba stated.
Kahemba noted that in the wake of the COVID l9 pandemic, the Government, through the Ministry of Health, put in place several rules and regulations a bid to curb the spread of the virus.
“The measures therein included, the imposition of curfew and a ban on public meetings including political rallies, conference and cultural related meetings,” the letter stated.
He further notes that, “Subsequently the Government eased the restrictions, albeit maintaining some. These include the requirement to wear a face mask whilst in public and observing social distancing.
The EC also pledged to conduct the first scientific elections in Uganda and informed the public that the election campaigns would be conducted through electronic media.”
Kahemba noted that it was however regrettable that the numbers of confirmed cases and deaths as a result of Covid-19 have steadily increased. He said the increase in the number of cases has been largely due to the ongoing political activities in the country.
“The NRM primary elections and the ongoing presidential election campaigns have highlighted the politicians and the public great utter disregard to the measures put in place to curtail the spread of the Corona Virus.
On several occasions large masses of people have been seen holding public processions, without wearing masks, washing their hands nor observing social distancing. This has greatly put the right to health and generally the right to life has been jeopardized,” Kahemba further stated.
He noted that he was greatly aggrieved that the Government and the Electoral Commission have let these activities proceed unheeded and in such a manner.
“They have failed to ensure compliance to the Covid-19 guidelines to the covid-19 guidelines and conducting the electoral process in a scientific manner.”
Efforts to get a comment from EC spokesperson Paul Bukenya proved futile; however EC last week issued a statement warning candidates against defying the set guidelines and directed police to act on them.
On Wednesday the Police also issued a statement noting that candidates who defy Election guidelines would be arrested.